Praying for Our Missionaries (and Clergy!)
It has been said that there are two ways to support missions: to be a missionary, or give financially to support a missionary. But this viewpoint overlooks one of the most vital and important elements of mission, and one in which we can all play a role: prayer!
Ask any missionary and they will tell you that prayer is of immense importance in missions. (Clergy will tell you the same for ministry!) Samuel Zwemer, missionary to Muslims in the early 1900s, linked prayer and missions in this way: “The history of missions,” he said, “is the history of answered prayer."
At LAMB, we have certainly found this to be true. The history of LAMB is truly His-Story, God’s story of answering prayers day in and day out for the duration of the ministry, sometimes in large ways, like protecting the children’s home from fire––in a dramatic way! And sometimes, “small prayers” are answered––the birthday gift from a sponsor arrives just in time for a child’s special day!
Missionaries offer hope to a broken world by sharing the love of Christ as found in the word of God as Paul outlines in 2nd Corinthians. “Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.” Desiring God author John Piper describes the role that prayer plays in that process: "Prayer is the power that wields the weapon of the word, and the Word is the weapon by which the nations will be brought to faith and obedience."
There are many ways we can pray for our missionaries––and for our clergy! Below are just a few thoughts on ways we can pray for our missionaries and our clergy.
- Pray that they would be filled with God’s Spirit.
- Pray for quality time with their families.
- Pray that their time alone with Jesus would be intimate and sweet, that it would deepen their love for Him and strengthen their faith and their witness.
- Pray that God will open hearts around them to the Good News.
- Pray that the gospel will be clear through them as they preach and teach.
- Pray that they will have peace with other believers and that they will find favor with unbelievers as they build relationships and minister.
- Pray for Christlike humility to characterize them
- Pray for God to grant them patience.
- Pray for their victory in spiritual warfare.
- Pray for joy for them in the midst of suffering.
More in News
June 13, 2021Join Us for Worship on the Third Sunday After Pentecost!
June 5, 2021Join Us for Worship on the Second Sunday After Pentecost!
June 2, 2021St. Philip’s High School and College Seniors Look to the Future